Thursday, May 6, 2010

3/6/10

Today is a Thursday, and in Egypt, that means the end of the week, because Friday is the Sabbath. However, I made good use of my last day in school for the week. I learned many words from the kids I met at the school and in a lesson after school. Since I didn't post any new words yesterday, here I'll give you quite a few to make up for it.

Here's a basic greeting:
Ahlan wa sahlan!

The appropriate response is "Ahlan beek!"

How are you is "Izzayyak" (or "Izzayyik" if addressing a girl).
Good is "Al hamdu li leh, bi khayr." The kh represents the ch sound in Yiddish or German, as in "Bach."

Here's a video of me saying these things.

1 comment:

  1. wow.
    there are so many posts on this blog.

    you really proved that you deserved to leave school for a month.

    congrats!

    ReplyDelete